Quit Playing with Yourself is a commission for solo artists who are interested in expanding the boundaries of what one person can do on stage. We want to ask where the ensembles have gone, particularly in Queer work. How do we get more people on stage when we can’t afford it? Look to the audience, technology or is there something we just haven’t thought of yet.
We are interested in finding artists making Queer work to help us find the answer.
We want to commission two new ideas to be realised as innovative performances. In spring 2013, two artists will benefit from residency time in Brighton and London, and will present a series of work in progress performances (as part of a double bill) in both cities.
We encourage applications from artists working across a wide range of live performance disciplines; including theatre, dance and new writing. We hope that the commissioned artists will share their methodologies and networks to help develop each others’ professional practice. We anticipate that these seed commissions will have a future touring life. Each commission includes a fee and development time and space in London and Brighton (see below for details).
Deadline for applications: Thursday 12th December at 9.00am
24th Feb – 4th March 2014: development time in rehearsal room at Ovalhouse, London
5th – 8th March: performances at Ovalhouse, London (including space each day to develop the work)
10th – 18th March: development time at The Marlborough Theatre, Brighton
19th – 20th March: performances at The Marlborough Theatre, Brighton
What we want
- A work in progress piece (one from each artist or company) with minimal tech requirements
- 20-40 minutes in duration
- With a get in/out time of 15 mins or under
Each artist / company will receive:
- Producing support from Pink Fringe and Ovalhouse throughout the development process.
- 5 hours of technical support from The Marlborough and Ovalhouse
- A technical operator for all performances
- Marketing support and inclusion in season brochures
- A £2000 commissioning fee (£500 of which should be earmarked specifically for work with an outside eye/dramaturg)
- 25% box office takings (minus VAT & ticketing costs)
- Accommodation at The Marlborough during the Brighton development period
- £300 towards accommodation costs from Ovalhouse (if based outside of London)
- Additional financial support for travel from The Marlborough
Underpinning this project is the desire to provoke artists/companies to explore new ground and to reflect on their individual practice whilst creating new work. We are looking for artists who are creating a new piece of devised Queer performance.
There will be a further three seed commissions available in summer 2014. Keep an eye out for more information.
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com by Thursday 12th December at 9.00am.
Please send your application as a Word (.doc) file attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Quit Playing with Yourself [YOUR NAME]‘ in the subject line.
Applications in other formats or those received after the deadline will not be considered.
- A description of your idea (maximum of 500 words)
- A short summary of your artistic practice maximum (maximum 350 words)
- Supporting material/ links to evidence of your previous work (maximum one side of A4)
Interviews will be held on 17th December in London.