Pink Fringe, Brighton; Ovalhouse, London and Theatre in the Mill, Bradford want to commission three new works exploring moments of profound change.
From June – September 2014 we will collaborate on Transforming Stories: a series of seed commissions for Queer-identifying artists working across a wide range of live performance disciplines. We want to work with artists who are interested in exploring the places where sexuality, gender, politics and aesthetics intersect and the times when their balance shifts within our identities.
Ruptures and revolutions; maturing and metamorphosis; political change, physical change, a change of heart or a change of mind.
Each of the three artists will benefit from residency time in Brighton, London and Bradford and will present a series of work in progress performances, as part of a triple bill, in all three cities.
We hope that the commissioned artists will share their approaches and networks to help develop each others’ professional practice. We anticipate that these seed commissions will have a future touring life. Each commission includes a fee and development time and space in London Brighton and Bradford (see below for details).
Underpinning this project is the desire to provoke artists/companies to explore new ground and to reflect on their individual practice whilst creating new work. We are looking for artists who want to create a new piece of devised Queer performance.
What we want
- A work in progress piece (one from each artist or company) with minimal tech requirements
- 20-40 minutes in duration
- With a get in/out time of 15 mins or under
Each artist / company will receive:
- Producing support from Pink Fringe, Ovalhouse and Theatre in the Mill throughout the development process.
- 5 hours of technical support from each venue
- A technical operator for all performances
- Marketing support and inclusion in season brochures
- A £2000 commissioning fee (£500 of which should be earmarked specifically for work with an outside eye/dramaturg)
- 20 % box office takings (minus VAT & ticketing costs)
- Accommodation at The Marlborough during the Brighton development period
- Accommodation during the Bradford development period from Theatre in the Mill
- £300 towards accommodation costs in London from Ovalhouse (if based outside of London)
- Additional financial support for travel from The Marlborough and Theatre in the Mill, Bradford
Deadline for applications: Monday 24th March at 9.00am
w/c 16 June: Development time at Ovalhouse, London
w/c 23 June : Performances at Ovalhouse, London (Weds – Sat)
w/c 30 June: development time at The Marlborough Theatre, Brighton
w/c 28th July: 2 performances at The Marlborough Theatre, Brighton
w/c 8 September: Development time at Theatre in the Mill, Bradford
w/c 15 September: performances at Theatre in the Mill, Bradford (Fri & Sat)
Please send us
- A description of your idea (maximum of 500 words)
- A short summary of your artistic practice maximum (maximum 350 words)
- Supporting material/ links to evidence of your previous work (maximum one side of A4)
Please send your application as a Word (.doc) file attachment to email@example.com with ‘Quit Playing with Yourself [YOUR NAME]‘ in the subject line.
Applications in other formats or those received after the deadline will not be considered.
Dealine for applications: Monday 24th March at 9.00am.
Interviews will be held on 1st April at Ovalhouse in London.